Friday, January 18, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies



by Roma

2 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 t. vanilla
4 eggs
2 T. water

Mix above ingredients together.  Add:

4 c. flour
1 1/2- 2 c. oatmeal
2 t. baking soda
2 t. salt

Mix lightly and add chocolate chips.  Drop with teaspoons on baking sheet. Bake at 375ºF for about 7 minutes.

~Mom made chocolate chip cookies by the dozens and stored them in the freezer, ready for any occasion.  Nancy belonged to 4-H for a while and won a blue ribbon at the county fair using this recipe.

~Mark says:  I was just bored one day, walking around the living room in our house on Mark Lane when I happened to look inside a ceramic cookie jar which had come from Germany.  When I lifted the lid, I was surprised to see that it was full of chocolate chip cookies...right up to the top!  I was so pleasantly surprised and delighted that taking one or two didn't seem acceptable, so I cupped my hand and stacked them right up my arm as far as I thought I could balance them sufficiently to make a clean escape to my room.  Just as I placed the last cookie on my arm, which was somewhere past my elbow, Mom came bursting through the door from the kitchen.  I jumped a mile, totally off guard and the cookies scattered everywhere.  I honestly don't remember what happened next.  I remember Mom being mad, but I don't remember if I was able to take even one bite of cookie.  One thing is for sure, I loved Mom's chocolate chip cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment